Pages

Saturday, January 10, 2015

Resolutions and Recommendations


January in Québec is cold and dreary; one of the only potentially good things about it is New Year's resolutions. Amongst other things, I have resolved to organize my online presence, and so I moved all of my creative writing from 2006 to the present onto another blog in order for this space to be fully dedicated to my half-baked ideas short critical essays. I am superlatively grateful to Zoe from Chic & Sassy Designs for the new-and-improved template. 

Also a resolution: to prepare more of my food

Another good thing about January is the abundance of recommendations appearing in the form of yearly reviews. After consulting Paste, CBR, Comics Alliance, and Mental Floss, I have settled on the following shortlist of tomes I definitely want to add to my collection:

- She-Hulk by Charles Soule, Javier Pulido and Ron Wemberly
Moon Knight by Warren Ellis and Declan Shalvey
Lumberjanes written and illustrated by the inimitable Noelle Stevenson (whose excellent Nimona can be read online).
The latest Saga hardcover by Brian K. Vaughan and Fiona Staples
The Wicked + the Divine by Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie
Through the Woods, written and illustrated by Emily Carroll

I will also be adding these titles to my wishlist (in case anyone feels generous):

- Here, a formalist experiment by Richard McGuire
- The Wake by Scott Snyder and Sean Murphy
- Jolies ténèbres by Marie Pommepuy et Sébastien Cosset (collectively known as Kerascoët)
- East of West by Jonathan Hickman and Nick Dragotta
- Pretty Deadly by Kelly Sue DeConnick and Emma Rios
- Lazarus by Greg Rucka and Michael Lark

If I have not included certain of the more popular titles on this list (particularly, G. W. Wilson's Ms. Marvel or Grant Morrison's Multiversity), it is in some cases because I already own them. Indeed, I have recently reviewed Ms. Marvel and I very much look forward to its second volume. My pull-list currently consists of Multiversity, Justice League Dark, Constantine, The Sandman: Overture --and I systematically pre-order every hardcover/TPB of Aquaman, Wonder Woman and Swamp Thing.

I am also extremely excited about A. David Lewis' American Comics, Literary Theory and Religion (of which I have received a review copy; a first in my academic career). I do worry it may make my own work redundant.

What are you looking forward to reading in 2015?

No comments

Post a Comment