Pages

Monday, January 19, 2015

For your edification ...


Coursera is showcasing an interesting selection of lecture series this winter, with subjects ranging from game theory to online surveilance law. I think I might watch some of the lectures on fantasy and science fiction if time allows, perhaps while I perform my morning exercises. Last semester I watched part of a series on comic books and graphic novels; I could not complete it due to conflicting commitments, but it was extremely refreshing to get a different perspective on the subject.

I recently watched and re-watched Don Hertzfeldt's It's Such a Beautiful Day, which was made available on Canadian Netflix a short while ago. It is truly a masterful piece of storytelling, articulating a deeply troubling impressionistic portrayal of mental illness through a series of clever philosophical vignettes. I was particularly impressed by the way in which Hertzfeldt utilizes space, cutting it up like an astute comic-book artist while making this division of the visual field stand for simultaneity instead of sequence.

1 comment

  1. What an awesome site!!! Thank you for sharing! I will most likely watch some of the fantasy and science fiction lectures, mainly the LeGuin unit.

    ReplyDelete